IFST has adopted a set of standards for Continuing Professional Development. These are similar to those adopted by other science based professional bodies, including members of the Science Council and the Health Professions Council.
1. Maintain a continuous, up-to-date and accurate record of their CPD activities
2. Demonstrate that their CPD activities are a mixture of learning activities relevant to current or future practice
3. Seek to ensure that their CPD has benefited the quality of their practice
4. Seek to ensure that their CPD has benefited the users of their work (employee, customer, student etc)
5. Maintain a portfolio containing evidence of their CPD
It is a good practise to keep the evidence related to the learning and development in the case it would be requested.
An important part of our standards is that CPD should be wide-ranging and that the activities undertaken should reflect a balance of learning activities. They should be a mixture of learning activities relevant to your current or future practice. A balanced portfolio of CPD activities should include a selection of activities in at least 3 of the following categories:
- Work-based learning
- Professional activity
- Formal / Educational
- Self-directed learning
- Learning outside of normal employment
Find out more about learning activities which may form part of your CPD.