This course covers all aspects of meat science including slaughterhouse procedures, meat maturation, secondary processing and packaging through to evaluation of meat quality, safety and sensory properties, as well as the effects of animal genetics, production and nutrition on meat quality and the role of meat consumption in human health.
On successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Appraise the key factors involved in the conversion of muscle to meat and evaluate their effects on product quality and yield.
- Evaluate meat quality attributes and the impact of animal production and/or slaughterhouse procedures on meat quality.
- Evaluate meat quality, safety and/or sensory properties in the context of legislation, industry codes of practice and customer requirements in order to establish high quality and safe products.
- Evaluate the use of specialist packaging and/or processing in order to establish high quality, safe and nutritious products.
- Evaluate the nutritional value of meat and its role in human health.