You are currently looking at the Food Safety Practitioner information page.
Outline of a Practitioner:
Food Safety Practitioner (RFoodSPrac) is the first level of the Register of Food Safety Professionals. Typical roles of a Food Safety Practitioner are HAACP Team Member, Member of the Quality Assurance function, Internal Auditor or Hygiene Team supervisor.
Practitioners are likely to be responsible for technical functions within laboratories or quality departments. They will operate Critical Control Points and contribute to internal audit operations. They will identify and use scientific methods at work to address broadly-defined complex problems. They will work without close supervision at work and may exercise some degree of autonomy in their role whilst still adhering to company policy and protocol.
Example career paths:
Our accreditation process is rigorous, but flexible enough to recognise that Food Safety Professionals may have gained their experience through very different career paths. Our assessment process is based on demonstrating competences but, to give you an indication, below are just a few of the example routes that could lead to someone being eligible for Practitioner status:
- 7 years’ experience in a relevant food safety role
- 4 years’ post qualification experience in a relevant food safety role and QCF Level 3 qualifications (for example A' levels in science subjects)
- 4 years’ experience in a relevant food safety role RSciTech or Foundation degree or HND in other science subjects
- 3 years’ experience in a relevant food safety related role. Up to 1 year relevant work experience gained as part of your qualification can count towards this. Degree in other science subjects or Foundation degree or HND in food science or technology and closely related subjects
- 2 years’ experience in a relevant food safety related role. Up to 1 year work experience gained as part of your qualification can count towards this & Degree in food science/technology
- 1 year’s experience in a relevant food safety related role and Master’s degree or PhD in food science or technology
*All applicants are expected to have a Level 2 (Introductory) or Level 3 (intermediate) HAACP qualification or equivalent
In order to qualify for Food Safety Principal status you must be able to demonstrate that you fulfil a number of knowledge based and professional competences. For more information on the specifics of the competences please see our competency framework.
In addition, you are required to comply with IFST’s Code of Professional Conduct which expects all registrants to uphold the integrity of the food science profession and comply with best practice to ensure the safety of all food products.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD):
You will also need to demonstrate your personal commitment to the highest professional standards by continually and actively maintaining and enhancing your knowledge and skills throughout your career. You will be required to renew your registration every 3 years by demonstrating that you are still professionally active and that you have engaged in CPD. IFST has adopted a set of standards for Continuing Professional Development similar to those adopted by other science based professional bodies. A wide range of activities can contribute to your CPD. It is up to you to recognise needs and opportunities both inside and outside your workplace and to take advantage of learning experiences to develop your own CPD programme.
When you join the Register you will gain access to myCPD, IFST’s exclusive CPD monitoring software. myCPD is a simple, structured and secure online recording system which will help you to track your progress throughout the year. Accessible on the move from your smartphone or tablet, myCPD tracks your progress, sends you reminders and allows you to generate easy-to-share reports at the click of a button.
Don’t think you’ve reached the required level yet? Email Marjo Kiiveri to learn more about how to work towards becoming a Registered Food Safety Practitioner in the future.
|Registered Food Safety Principal||Registered Food Safety Manager||Registered Food Safety Practitioner||Competency Framework|