IFST framework theme
Transparency, traceability and trust
Increase industry knowledge in, and provide guidance for, the use of emerging traceability and transparency technologies in food supply chains
- A large proportion of risks originate upstream in the food chain and outside of the immediate control of individual food processors and manufacturers.
- Current approaches to risk management support a short term reactive approach at an individual business level; risks beyond the immediate manufacturing environment are often considered only on a one-up and one-down (the chain) basis, with sharing of minimal technical information.
- This leaves the food system vulnerable to fraud and food safety breakdowns, with increasing costs that add no value to consumer risk prevention.
- Existing and new technologies offer opportunities for improved data handling and analysis, with more supply chain actors able to access relevant information in a secure yet transparent way.
- ISFT want to facilitate and promote approaches to food risk management that would provide evidence-based information, accessible to all contributors in the food supply chain, to deliver safe and authentic food to consumers in a cost-effective way, and provide solutions that benefit industry, consumers and regulators.
Food chain risk management systems project
- Highlighting how the food industry can best leverage existing and new technological opportunities for improved information and data handling and analysis, driving an efficient and risk managed supply chain
- To consider how SME’s and micro businesses can access the tools and information available to effectively manage their risks
- Louise Manning (chair), Royal Agriculture University
- Helen Munday, FDF
- Saiqa Aslam, Cranswick
- Peter Wareing, Independent consultant
- Mark Swainson, National Centre for Food Manufacturing, University of Lincoln
- Claire Abbott, Quorn
- John Graydon, Siemens
- Derek Croucher, Morning Foods
- Alex Guest, Dalziel
- Chris Gilbert-Wood, Independent consultant
- Sid Kalita, FSA
- Rachel Hackett, Greencore
- Rick Sanderson, QADEX
- Shajo Jose, Punch Taverns
Evolving risk management systems article published in September 2018 issue of Food Science & Technology
Food Chain Management Systems poster presented at IFST Spring Conference (SC18) on 19 April 2018
Food Chain Management Systems presentation given at BRC Food Safety Europe Conference on 12 February 2019
Please contact us if you would like to partner on a project