2017 Ecotrophelia UK Finalists & Winners
The 2017 competition and prize giving was held at Campden BRI on 6-7 June 2017. Read the article and watch the video on Food Manufacture from the winners of Ectrophelia UK, Yasai Caulirice Sushi, on how food manufacturers could do much more to attract younger people to the industry.The 2017 UK winning team, Yasai Caulirice Sushi, from the University of Reading went on to secure an overall silver in the European final at Food Matters Live in London 22 November 2017. The gold prize was awarded to the Greek team for their AVOYOG, ‘a functional eco-friendly innovative smoothie beverage from avocado and Greek yoghurt whey’. The bronze was presented to the team from Slovenia for their OnMyWhey, ‘unique whey based fruit dairy product with added millet which makes healthy snacking easy’.
The five UK finalists and their products
- GOLD! Yasai Caulirice Sushi: Sushi style rolls that combine crunchy cauliflower rice with fresh-tasting vegetables – University of Reading
- SILVER! Lagom Veg: Dried spiralised vegetables infused with chilli and lemongrass that makes infused ‘spaghetti’ when hot water is added – Nottingham Trent University
- BRONZE! Windfall Fruit Jelly: natural jelly desserts made without gelatine and suitable for vegans. Made from fruit juice, no added sugar or preservatives from fruit which would normally be wasted – London Metropolitan University
- Colipop: A cauliflower based savoury snack that uses advanced techniques in tunnel drying systems to create crunchy cauliflower bites without the need of frying – University of West London
- Chocolate Strawberry Torte Donut: A baked cacao donut that has been dipped in dark chocolate, sprinkled with freeze dried strawberry pieces and topped with a dairy free white chocolate drizzle – University of Reading