This course will provide an in-depth overview of the livelihoods and food security issues deriving from farmed livestock across a global range of production systems. Focusing on the main classes of farmed livestock (dairy, beef, sheep, goats, pigs, poultry), you will explore the opportunities and challenges of keeping livestock as a means of acquiring and maintaining food security at a household, national, and global level.
By the end of the module, you will be able to:
- Critically evaluate the key opportunities and challenges in terms of supporting livelihoods associated with keeping livestock
- Critically appraise the contribution livestock make in a range of different settings to the development of food security
- Use appropriate tools to identify reliable information and literature on a given topic
- Communicate research findings clearly
- Demonstrate good academic practice in the use, citation and referencing of source material