The Food Standards Scotland and the Food Standards Agency have published a draft report following its joint review of meat processing establishments. It makes recommendations for industry and regulatory authorities to improve compliance and assurance.
The 19 recommendations include:
- Greater involvement of industry to produce clearer guidance to meet the needs of food businesses
- Increased focus on skills and capabilities across industry
- Greater data transparency and sharing across industry
- More effective use of data by regulatory authorities and improved regulatory coordination and consistency
- Trialling the feasibility of using a single organisation to deliver all official controls in a geographic location
Both organisations will be holding a Board meeting on Wednesday, 17 October in Edinburgh to discuss the Review and the recommendations. The Boards will separately consider the draft report, which is subject to their review and approval, and decide which recommendations will be taken forward by each organisation.