Registered Food Safety Principal (RFoodSP) is the highest level of the register of food safety professionals.
Food Safety Principals are typically responsible for overseeing and advising on company compliance with legal requirements and relevant industry COP as well as defining company structure and resources for effective food safety management. They are likely to develop and inform company food safety policy and be responsible for making business-critical decisions in the event of food safety crises. They will often work autonomously supervising large teams.
Our assessment process is based on demonstrating competences but, to give you an indication, below are just a few of the example routes that could lead to someone being eligible for Principal status:
- 16 years working in Food Safety, with at least 2 years in a management position
- 12 years working in Food Safety, with at least 2 years in a management position and a BSc in Food Science and Technology or closely related subject
- 10 years working in Food Safety, with at least 1 year in a management position and a Master’s degree in Food Science and Technology or closely related subject
- 8 years working in Food Safety, with at least 1 year in a management position and a PhD in Food Science and Technology or closely related subject
* All Food Safety Principals are expected to have an Advanced Level 4 HAACP Qualification or equivalent.
There is a £101 registration fee. The annual renewal fee is £66.
How to apply:
Before you begin an application for RFoodSP you must have at least Associate membership of IFST. You can apply online by logging in to your IFST account. Please ensure you have read the guidance document (below) before submitting your application.
In order to maintain your RFoodSP status, you will need to pay a renewal fee, and are required to annually confirm that you remain professionally active, competent to perform your role, and have engaged in Continuing Professional Development (CPD). Every three years you will be required to submit a summary report of your CPD activities during the previous year, and 35 hours of CPD are required to meet the renewal target. You will be given access an online tool where you can add your CPD activities. More information on the CPD standards is available here: CPD standards