IFST has adopted a set of standards for Continuing Professional Development. These are similar to those adopted by other science based professional bodies, including members of the Science Council and the Health Professions Council.
1. Maintain a continuous, up-to-date and accurate record of their CPD activities
2. Demonstrate that their CPD activities are a mixture of learning activities (see list below) relevant to current or future practice
3. Seek to ensure that their CPD has benefited the quality of their practice
4. Seek to ensure that their CPD has benefited the users of their work (employee, customer, student etc)
5. Maintain a portfolio containing evidence of their CPD
A balanced portfolio of CPD activities should include a selection of activities in at least 3 of the following categories:
- Work-based learning
- Professional activity
- Formal / Educational
- Self-directed learning
Find more about learning activities for Chartered Scientist here.